pic

pic

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Conflict Resolution... Let's Play Soccer!



One fact of life in HEMS is conflict. As Jeff Stillwagon (Geisinger LifeFlight Pilot and generally smart man)  used to say, when you get so many type-A folks in one area there are going to be differences of opinion. I have been in conflict at a program and watched a woman get fired, and then again I have been in conflict at a program and got fired myself. It's too bad that in both cases I wasn't able to defuse the situation.

There must be a way...

When my youngest son was little, we took him to soccer lessons in the afternoon. The little kids all clustered around the ball, and the pack moved slowly up and down the field. Occasionally, someone would get kicked or shoved or knocked down and a fight would ensue.

The coach was very good at dealing with this - he would say, "look kids, we are here to play soccer - not to fight. In soccer this stuff happens, but let's forget it and PLAY SOCCER." And they would. I never forgot that coach...

What he was doing was refocusing the team on the larger purpose. The real reason for being there. That works for us too, as we work together to fly sick people and generate revenue. Now days when someone makes an unkind or poorly thought out remark to me I simply try and ignore it. I just let it go and focus on whatever I happen to be doing at the time. It doesn't always work, and I still get upset once in a while, but "letting it go" works better than steaming and twisting my wits and emotions. Often, when I just let something go and ignore a slight, the "perp" will shortly exhibit conciliatory behavior, which would certainly not have happened had I returned fire.

Let's Fly Sick People...

What I try to do is remind myself why I am here, and it isn't to one-up someone. I am on this job to make money and fly sick people. Period. Anything that contributes to that is good. Anything that interferes with it is not worth my time and energy. I also try and remember that there is more than one way to look at a situation, and my way may not be the "right" way.

I listen to people on the job frequently who are at odds with coworkers. (As a relief pilot, I can usually avoid drama myself - I am not there long enough) and I feel for them. They are upset and distracted, and for what - something that will pass and be forgotten and won't matter in the long run. Realizing that may help all of us let things that won't matter soon not matter now....

"Get Mad And Get Over It."

General Colin Powell...

Safe flights and may peace be with you...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think. If you are involved in helicopter emergency medical services / air ambulances, this is your community. Please refrain from posting profanity, or comments that might be considered libelous or slanderous.