pic

pic

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

In Praise of "The Lady Who Get's Things Done"

I just had a call from my travel administrator. She realized that there was a way she could improve my next work-trip, and took the time to call me and ask about it. She has about 7 jobs, answers hundreds of messages a day, and still has time for personal service.

She sets a good example of what it is to be a service-professional.

I reflect on the fact that in almost every flying job I have had, including as a Flight-Lead and instructor pilot with B/3/160th, there has been a woman - not typically sitting in the bosses chair, but usually near that persons door - who makes the show go on. Bosses come and go, and the lady stays, and provides experience, counsel, and encouragement.

In 3/160, that lady is a civilian named Ms. Linda Rodgers. She has been there since the beginning a quarter century ago, and is there today, planning our 25th year reunion. (I imagine all the plank-holders - like me - will have a great time and get planked...) Over the years these ladies achieve legendary status, and are revered.

By the smart folks among us.

Some people come into an organization, full of piss and vinegar and themselves, and start running the mouth before engaging the brain They never know the extent to which their lives have been hobbled through thoughtlessness.

I worked for Air Logistics (now Bristow) for a bit before entering HEMS. There was a lady there too. I went to see her, and was appropriate, and even as a new-guy I got a tolerable assignment. The thing to keep in mind is that there are rules, and policies, and then there are relationships - and relationships often have a way of massaging rules...

One way of getting started might be to go find "the lady" in your organization, (if you are new) and introducing yourself, and asking if there is any advice she might have to offer.

God gave you two ears and one mouth. Don't talk to her much.... listen. I did that when starting at Omniflight with an admin assistant, and followed it up with an offer to help with a menial task - she was assembling checklist revisions and I had some free time. That two hours made me a "good guy" in her heart, and she had the ear (and affection) of the Director of Operations, Director of Maintenance, and Chief Pilot.

It doesn't take much effort to let the people in your sphere know that they are important to you, and that you truly value the things they do for you, even if it's "their job." I always ask if there is any way I can help them help me.

It doesn't always work, but most times....

safe flights....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think. If you are involved in helicopter emergency medical services / air ambulances, this is your community. Please refrain from posting profanity, or comments that might be considered libelous or slanderous.