pic

pic

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Training Quality Concerns...

We found this on a forum that pilots use to vent their dissatisfaction. There is a lot of chaff on the forum. And a fair amount of wheat. Read on and share...

What do you think about this? 

How would you rate your training?

"About 6 years ago my program decided to stop supporting an IFR program.  We kept the airframe, lost the training.  The training was just meeting the minimums anyway, and barely kept anyone competent enough to fly SPIFR.   I was sad to see it go, but we didn't make any money off of it.  It was supposed to be for safety, but I was still in an IFR twin, so, hard to complain.  I get it, business is business.  
Then about 4 years ago, we lost the twin and went into an ASTAR.  Flying around at night over hazardous terrain, houses, mountains, etc...  IIMC without an autopilot and no instrument training.   I have plenty of time in singles, so I was convinced I could maintain safety by lowering my weather minimums, and flying higher at night, choosing my flight path over more favorable terrain etc..  It made my job a little more difficult, but I still considered it safe.  I feel I was able to mitigate the risk.
Then about 3 years ago my employer decided it was "too dangerous" to train me to do autorotations.   I haven't doen an auto in 3 years, I go back to training to practice my power recoveries and my first auto is litterally the worst of my entire career.  I overshoot my spot by 100 feet, and I flair way too high.  The instructor is tickled with my performance and deems it "a really good auto".  This guy must see some crap if my worst auto ever is considered good. 
Training is supposed to last 5 days.  2 travel days and 3 training days.  I show up and get my "ground" done in about an hour.  The trainer puts on as much gas as he can fit and we do the entire training and checkride in one flight.  That is it for the year.  
Every year I am worse than the year before.  Every year they take away more redundancy, and skimp on the training.  
I'm done.  I can no longer justifiy the risk.  Being sent out there with no hope if anything goes wrong.  No training, and no redundancy.  Sad state of affairs.  
I took a job over seas.  I will miss being home, but I would rather be alive and I am not ready to stop flying yet.
Stay safe guys and don't accept the risk they expect you to so they can make money.  
I just got back from training"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think. If you are involved in helicopter emergency medical services / air ambulances, this is your community. Please refrain from posting profanity, or comments that might be considered libelous or slanderous.