pic

pic

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Putting a Chinook in the water, or not...

After getting signed off to instruct Amphib Two, which is what the video is showing, I had a couple of guys with me out in a river near Fort Smith/Fort Chaffee. I was having each guy do three evolutions of landing to the water with the ramp open (which is actually quite a bit different than landing on the water with the ramp up), onloading a combat rubber raiding craft or CRRC, flying a pattern, and putting the boat back in water for another go. So I had, if memory serves, Marie's husband up front and we are getting it done. As it was night, I noticed clearly the port position light was occasionally disappearing under the water, but I didn't consider the ramifications. This was a level one SA failure. As it happened we were also training crew chiefs to perform the ramp duties. Oh, and the guys in the boat were training too. (Bad call, never have more than one piece of a complex operation in training). As we were at JRTC, which was in Chaffee then, we had a generic miles gear kit installed, with a wire running up the right sponson, and into the forward compartment where, as luck would have it, an engine control box lived. The wire broke the seal on the compartment door, and allowed air to escape, which allowed water to flow in thru the open drain ports at the floor of the compartment. This was getting ready to be a problem. The first problem though was that we were too deep, and the ramp opening was too close to the water. The boat made a run for the chemlights taped to the ramp opening, and ran a soldiers head right into the ass end of the aircraft. He went swimming. The boat made a go around, and the FEI made it about half way thru explaining this when we lost comms with the back. Water got into the ICS box near the ramp. I took the controls, lifted the aircraft (now pretty heavy with a belly full of water pouring out of a hundred and something drain holes) to a 30 foot hover, and tried to get control of the situation. Then the number two engine began to decelerate with a torque split and a drop in rotor. That was the water getting into the N2 control box in the compartment on the front of the sponson. We were in a trick.

It was at that moment that a piece of training that I got in the IP course saved the day. As a younger pilot, I had been conditioned to pull the cyclic rearward after losing an engine, as this is what you do when you "get one" in the traffic pattern. My instructor in the IP course took to giving me engine failures at a OGE hover, and I got the habit of accelerating in my muscle memory. So that night, at Fort Smith, as that motor drifted downward I just stood on the beep with my thumb and moved forward thru ETL. We got pretty close to the water. I declared an emergency with the Fort Smith tower, and freaked him out when I did a run on landing with "fuel" pouring out of the aircraft all over the runway. We were done for that night.

Safe flights boys!

rf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think. If you are involved in helicopter emergency medical services / air ambulances, this is your community. Please refrain from posting profanity, or comments that might be considered libelous or slanderous.